Monday, January 11, 2010

What is a Women's Decision Making Blog?

Rooted in the tradition of psychology and expanded by developments in neuroimaging technology, the field of decision making in cognitive science has emerged relatively recently. Its fascinating and shows up all over the place (I see that often findings from related fields pop up in the New York Times TierneyLab blog.)
Inspired by my courses I found the material that we covered to be entirely relevant to so many of my everyday conversations. I began e-mailing around the interesting articles I was reading in class or in journals, feeling strongly that those around me were debating topics that we have empirical research to address. In this blog I hope to centralize the research that I’ve studied or come across on my own in a location for the Yale (and greater) community to access. More than any other academic discipline I have yet studied, the results coming out of these departments are immediately applicable to day-to-day living, and I believe that an appreciation of this research’s relevance can and will lead to increased understanding of the components of wellbeing.
That being said, lets get down to the actual substance of this blog, which I hope to organize roughly with a new topic each week. I hope to cover a broad array, drawing from the disciplines of philosophy, organizational behavior, behavioral finance, social psychology and others. Though the content I hope to cover is subject to change over the course of the term, some of the topics I’m most excited about are women and risk-taking, overconfidence and metaknowledge, incentive structures and the female professional, women’s decisions about healthcare, women and vision-oriented leadership, personal relationships and relationship satisfaction over time, etc.
I hope that the blog becomes a conversation about the applicability of empirical research to daily wellbeing, but at the very least, I just hope to expose others to what kind of work this field is generating.
And now, as should be clear from the title of this blog, I hope to give this blog a feminine spin- paying particular attention to work that has yielded gender-specific results.

My first article will be listed this week! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. A wonderful idea for a blog... it is surprising how many important studies are ignored for lack of publicity.

    ReplyDelete